Haridwar is the gateway to the four pilgrimages of Uttarakhand. It’s also your starting point on the journey to the sacred sources of the rivers Ganga and the Yamuna.
Haridwar is the gateway to the four pilgrimages of Uttarakhand. It’s also your starting point on the journey to the sacred sources of the rivers Ganga and the Yamuna. According to legend, Prince Bhagirath performed penance here to salvage the souls of his ancestors who had perished due to sage Kapil’s curse. The penance was answered and the river.
Ganga trickled forth from Lord Shiva's locks and its bountiful water revived the sons of King Sagara. In the tradition of Bhagirath, devout Hindus stand in the sacred waters here, praying for salvation of their ancestors.
Population: 14,44,213 (2001 census).
Area: 12,302 sq km.
Altitude: 294.7 m.
Season: Round the year. Clothing:
Summers: Cottons and tropical
Languages: Hindi and English.
Chandigarh to Haridwar: 205 km
Delhi to Haridwar: 210 km
Shimla Manali to Haridwar: 320 km
Lucknow to Haridwar: 492 km
Jaipur to Haridwar: 505 km
Best Season / Best Time to Visit Haridwar
The climate of this holy religious place is temperate all through the year, but the best time is from October to April.
Winter (October-February) is little chilly with minimum night temperature of about 6°C. The day temperature in winter never crosses 30°C, making the season pleasant and sunny. Karthik Poornima is celebrated in November.
Summer (March-May) has a temperature band of 18°C to 40°C. This is a good time for enjoying festivals like Ramnavmi and Buddha Purnima
Monsoon (June-September) receives moderate rainfall and humidity increases, making day activities a challenge. Haridwar hosts many religious festivals as a place of religious significance. Kanwar Mela (July) and Diwali (October) are some festivals celebrated here with much festivities. It is estimated that nearly 3 million people attends Kanwar Mela in July. It can be visited anytime of the year, monsoon can make commuting difficult.
Hari Ki Pauri
Hari ki pauri ghat was built by King Vikramaditya to commemorate the descending of Ganga after years of difficult prayers and fasting done by his ancestor Bhagirathi. Lord Vishnu is believed to have left his foot prints on a rock at this ghat. Everyday at twilight the Har ki pauri ghat comes to life with singing prayers and lit up lamps along the Ganges where people in hundreds and thousands view this mesmerizing and cleansing ritual. It is believed that the one who bathes at Har ki pauri gets rid of all sins and completely cleanses their soul. Floral tributes and lit up diyas floating on the Ganges is the most enchanting sight one gets at this ghat.
Standing atop the Neel Parvat, the Chandi Devi temple was built in 1929 AD by the king of Kashmir Suchat Singh. It is believed that the main statue of goddess Chandi devi, who killed the demon brothers Shumbh-Nishumbh, was laid here in the 8th century AD by Adi Shankracharya. The Chandi Devi temple can now be reached by a ropeway as well.
Situated on the southernmost hill of the Shivalik ranges is the Durga temple called Mansa Devi. One can reach this temple either on foot or by a cable car. Perched on Bilwa Parvat, the temple provides a panoramic view of the Haridwar city with the Ganges flowing in its middle.
Sapt Rishi Ashram & Sapt Sarovar
It is at this place that Ganges is believed to have divided itself into seven small streams to not to disturb the Sapt (seven) Rishis meditating and worshipping here.
Bharat Mata Mandir
It is one of its kind temples in Haridwar and is dedicated to Mother India, tracing its history from the times of Ramayana to present day. This eight storied temple houses the pictures and idols of some of the great Indian men from ancient to present times and pictures of the cities of the country. A must visit to get a sneak preview in to the history and culture of India.
This is the holy place where the wife of Lord Shiva, Mata Sati is believed to have done the ritual of self-immolation. The ghat here is thus famous today as Sati Kund.
Rajaji National Park / Chila Wildlife Sanctuary
The Rajaji National Park, spread over an area of 240 sq km, houses the Chila wildlife Sanctuary and is situated at a distance of 10 km from Haridwar. Situated on the banks of River Ganges, the sanctuary is a haven for a large number of animals. This biodiversity park boasts of nearly 23 mammals and about 315 fauna species. The river in the park houses large number of fishes and fauna in the water. At Chila you can have the pleasure of spotting leopard, tigers, jungle cat, herd of elephants, wild boar, stags, spotted deer, sloth bear, langur, monkeys, woodpecker, king cobra etc. During the monsoons the park remains closed and otherwise it is open after sunrise and closed after dusk.
Shri Prem Nagar Ashram
Shri Prem Nagar Ashram is one of the prime Ashrams in Haridwar. Established by Shri Hans ji Maharaj in 1944, the Ashram was later developed by his wife Jagat Janani Shri Mataji & his son Shri Satpal ji Maharaj. It is located between the swiftly flowing yet serene Ganges and the foothills of Himalayas. The Ashram is not only retreat for aged ones but it is also the most sacred place for selfless service, medication and spiritual practices under the very guidance of the living master.
Location- Shri Prem Nagar Ashram is located in centre of Haridwar township at Jwalapur.
Distance from Major Tourist Destination
- Har Ki Pauri: 5.4 km.
- Mansa Devi Temple: 0.5 km.
- Chandi Tevi Temple: 0.8 km.
How to Reach:
- Air: The nearest airport is jolly Grant, Dehradun ( 38km)
- Rail: Haridwar railway station (3.7 km)
- Bus: Haridwar Bus stand (3.7km)
Asharam’s Premises: Shri Prem Nager Ashram is spread out in almost 60 Beegha Land. Shriyansha Bhawan, Maansarovar Hall, Goverdhan Hall, Shri Hans Teertha Place, Ayurveda Bhawan, Accommodation Building, Gausala, Raj Rajeshwari Bathing Ghat and Maa Raj Rajeshwari Harbal Garden are the main areas of the Ashram. Apart from the above, the main attractions of Ashram are World Famous PANCH PALLAVA TREE and Musical Fountain
Accommodation Facilities & other Services:-
- Rooms: Prem Nagar Ashram has 500 rooms with attached bathrooms which can accommodate pilgrims/tourist/devotees round the year.
- Toilet blocks: Prem Nagar Ashram also has two double story circular blocks with 468 toilets in one building. This toilet blocks are the largest and one of its kinds in the world.
- Goverdhan Hall: the biggest hall with single spam in Asia is equipped with latest & modern facilities like acoustics, sound equipments, and lightning ventilation .In the hall around 10000 people can sit together and can take part in religious activities. Around 5000 people can practice Yoga at a time in the same hall.
- Mansarover Hall: The old Satsang hall called Mansarover Hall can accommodate 2000 people & every Sunday Satsang Programme is open to public in this Hall.
- Raj Rajeshwari Ghat: It is beautiful Ghat for men and women. The Bathing area consists of a flight of concrete steps landing right into the water. It is encircled by a concrete platform where devotees can sit and meditate.
- Ayurveda Bhawan: The fully licensed ayurveda bhawan produces a huge range of natural medicines & tonics from pure herbal ingredients according to ancient Vedic Recipes.
- Shri Hans Tirath Temple: Situated on the bank of the holy river ganga, the temple is one of its kind in Haridwar. It is decorated with nine pyramidical domes on external facade. The temple has various wide passages on all four sides to give wider space & open look and darshan of the idols.
- Gaushala: The Ashram maintains a large herd of Cows & Buffaloes. whose dung is a potential source of energy. Three biogas plants have been installed with the aid of government Grants.
Major Activities held in Ashram:
- Daily Bhajan & kirtan.
- Free medical chekup for poor people throughout the year.
- Daily Yoga and meditation
- Every year in month of april on date:-12, 13, 14 Ashram organizes a very big Baisakhi Fair in which thousands of Indians as foreigners- tourist/pilgrims/devotee take part.
- On the occasion of birthday of Spiritual Guru Shri Satpal ji Maharaj, the Ashram organizes a very big event in month of September on 20th & 21st every year. In which lots of Saints, Sadhus, Spiritual gurus take part along with lakhs of devotees, followers, tourists and pilgrims
- On every Wednesday & Sunday evening after sunset, a sound & light show is organised by ashram in front of Govardhan Hall where many locals & Tourist assemble to enjoy.
Shri Prem Nagar Ashram,Jwalapur road,Haridwar249407
The nearest airport is Jolly Grant, Bhaniawala, Dehradun, 41 km.
Connected with all important cities of India viz., Bombay, Delhi, Agra, Howrah, Varanasi, Allahabad, Ujjain, Amritsar, Dehradun, Lucknow, etc..
Haridwar on National Highway no. 45 is well connected to all major cities and other parts of the state viz. Delhi (214 km), Agra (386 km), Ambala (168 km), Badrinath (325 km), Dehradun (52 km), Kedarnath (250 km), Saharanpur (81 km), Nainital (286 km).
Very Cold, Foggy
|The weather in Haridwar is very cold during the month of January. However, the month is favorable for pilgrimage trips and temple visits.|
|February has cool atmosphere. Nights are comparatively colder than daytime. It is a favorable time to visit Haridwar as the weather is comfortable. Light warm clothesmight be required during evenings and nights.|
|Climate is temperate in March. Best time for enjoying Ram Navmi and pilgrim tours to Haridwar. Nature is also at its best.|
|Weather starts to get warm in April. Daytime is a bit warm while night is cool and comfortable. Decent time for sightseeing and taking up pilgrimage trips to Haridwar. The climate is very beautiful with lots of blue skies and sunshine.|
|Temperature starts to soar and the weather becomes a bit hot. Not the best time for sightseeing and outdoor activities, especially during the day. The sky remains very clear with plenty of sunshine and warm breeze that increases the temperature beyond comfortable level. Taking up pilgrimage visits in this period will require proper sun protective gears.|
|The weather is very hot and not ideal for outdoor visit. Sightseeing and making temple visits should be avoided during the day time as the climate is hot. Sun stroke is a common problem. If visiting, sun protection and cotton clothes are a must.|
|Monsoon starts to appear in July accompanying intermittent showers bringing some relief from the summer heat. The humidity level increases and it might not be an ideal time for outdoor visits. In fact, the period is not so popular for travel or pilgrimage tours. During monsoon, one can get good deals on tour packages or hotel rates.Kanwar Mela is also held in July.|
|This is the wettest month of the year. The place becomes humid with occasional rainfall, making it difficult for sightseeing. Rain protective gear like umbrellas should be carried. Black cloud reign over the sky with little sunshine. Tour packages or hotel rates becomes lower during monsoon.|
|On an average, the climate is moderately hot with occasional rainfalls. It is not the most ideal month for visit, but one can still enjoy sightseeing. Rainfall completely goes away by end-month, and the temperature drops back to levels that are more comfortable. The natural vista is also enjoyable in September.|
|Official tourist season begins from this month. The weather becomes comfortable with pleasant days and cool nights with almost no rainfall. Temperatures are comfortable with a cooling breeze. The time is suitable for sightseeing, pilgrimage visits and other tourist activities. The festival of Diwali is celebrated in this month.|
|Best time for sightseeing, adventure activities and pilgrimage tours as the weather is pleasing during the days and cool during the nights. Winter season starts from the end of the month and light woolens are required during the evening.|
|The winter season well and truly arrives with cool mornings and cold nights. To counter the dropping temperatures, heavy woolens are required. Ideal forsightseeing and pilgrimage visits as the weather is still within the comfortable cold range.|
Our team is 24/7 at your service to help you with your booking issues or answer any related questions
Near By Destinations
Uttarakhand is the heartland of the Hima...
Rishikesh, a most tranquil place in nort...
Rajaji National Park is distinct for its...
Activities in Haridwar
National parks and wildlife sanctuaries ...