Nainital Lake is a sparkling gem in the splendid Himalayan kingdom. This picture perfect region of nature is dotted with many lakes, earning it the distinction of being known as the ‘Lake District of India’.
Nainital Lake is an important lake of this region. This lunar-shaped natural freshwater lake was born from a depression in the Nainital town of the Kumaon region, owing to tectonic movement. The lake is fed by freshwater streams from the upper slopes and is surrounded by peaks blanketed with vegetation, characteristic of high altitude vegetation such as conifer forests and pine.
Nainital Lake is one of the four major lakes in the Kumaon hills, the three other being Sat Tal, Bhimtal and Naukuchiya Tal. Three mountain peaks border the lake, namely the Naina Peak on the north-western front, Tiffin Top on the southwestern front and snow-capped peaks on the northern front. This enchanting lake is Nainital’s tourist hot spot, with yachting and boating being very popular activities. All the elite hotels are in the lake’s vicinity and it is also a popular recreational spot.
HOW TO REACH
- Air : Nearest airport is Panthnagar, 71 km by motor.
- Rail : Nearest railhead is Kathgodam, 35 km by motor.
- Road : Nainital is well connected by all the major and national state highways. There are regular bus -services to Delhi, Bareilly, Dehradun, Haridwar and all cities of Kumaon region.
- Altitude : 1,938 mts.
- Area : 11.73 Sq. Kms.
- Temperature : Summer – Ranges between 26.7°C and 10.6° C
- Temperature : Winter – Ranges between 15.6°C and 2.8°
- Temperature : Rainfall 2794 mms. Average yearly
- Clothing : Summer – Light Woollen
- Clothing : Winter – Heavy Woollen
- Season : Round the Year.
- Accommodation : Tourist Rest House & Private Hotels are available.