Sahastra Tal is located on the western end of the stunning Khatling Glacier. It is a cluster of seven lakes near the glacier, about 30 kilometres away from Mala. The name suggests that there are or were many more glacial lakes like these scattered in this fairly remote region. Seven lakes have been identified, namely Dudhital, Darshantal, Lumbtal, Lingtal, Kokalital, Narsingtal and Parital.
The journey to these lakes passes through the panoramic Bhilangna River valley. One can capture unforgettable views of such sublime peaks as the Jogin group, Kirti Stambh and Meru. The trek to these lakes takes one through profuse woodlands and vastly expansive verdurous meadows. In the rainy season, the region explodes with vibrant floral magnificence.
HOW TO REACH
- New Tehri – Ghansali : 64 km motorable.
- Ghansali-Ghuttu : 31 Km motorable.
- Ghuttu- Budha Kedar : 14 Km motorable.
- Budha Kedar – Belak : 15 Km trek
- Belak- Sahastra Tal : 10 km trek
- Altitude : 4,572 mts.
- Area : 1.5 Sq. Kms.
- Season : June to October.