Destinations Covered: Almora, Pithoragarh, Lohaghat, Champawat
The Malla Mahal in Almora is made of stone and wood. It talks about centuries-old history. Established by King Rudra Chand, the fortress was subsequently the seat of power of the Gurkhas and the British.
Malla is witness to the princely state of the past where various sultanates have decorated their court with many memories. This palace, made of local materials in the Nagar style, is currently operated by the Collectorate.
forts of Banasur
Champawat is home to the forts of Banasur and Raj Bunga. The Banasur Fort is named after demon Banasur, whose daughter, as per legends, fell in love with Lord Krishna's grandson Anirudh. It was here that the lovers hid from Banasur but were ultimately caught. Once a symbol of glory and courage of the Chand Dynasty of Kumaon, the 800-year old Raj Bunga Fort is one of the few historical buildings of cultural significance still left in Uttarakhand.
Built by the Gorkhas in the year 1789, the Pithoragarh Fort is located on top of a hill on the outskirts of Pithoragarh. Made of stone, it is one of the foremost venues that depicts Gorkha architecture. Hence, architecture and nature enthusiasts are drawn to this place. There is another ancient fort called Sirmohi Fort. It is located in the village Sirmohi of Tehsil Lohaghat.